Tuesday, August 09, 2005

What a day!

I was surprised to find myself in a pretty crappy mood when I woke up last Tuesday. I thought I'd be excited about all we had planned for the day, but I just couldn't shake my aggravation. And it was beautiful out too! I'd been keeping the house spotless for the past couple days and suddenly it had exploded overnight. I have no clue how. Max was extra clingy so I couldn't get anything done. Then we left for the appointment. I was still in a bad mood in the car but at least we were running early(by some miracle!).

As I was waiting to turn to find parking, we were rear-ended.

Just great. We haven't had this car for 3 months yet and already a crash. Luckily everyone was ok. I was worried for a while though because short of obvious physical injuries, such as ones spewing blood, how do you know if a non-verbal 8 month old is injured? We exchanged insurance information with the other driver, who was apologizing profusely, and I checked out the back of the van. It didn't look bad from a distance, but the bumper was pushed in and up a bit blocking the trunk door from opening and closing. So now the back hatch is permanently open which the car tells me everytime I start moving by beeping annoyingly.

So we found a parking space and went in to the appointment. The results were actually in. What a crazy little list. Max's blood reacted to:
apple
avocado
bean, green
bean, yellow wax
broccoli
brussels sprouts
cabbage
cauliflower
celery
cherry
coconut
cranberry
eggplant
garlic
grape
grapefruit
lemon
lentil
lettuce
lime
oat
onion
orange
papaya
parsley
pea
peach
peanut
plum
radish
strawberry
tangerine
wheat
egg whites
cow's milk
barley
soy

Basically, he's reacting to most of the foods I'm eating now. I think that he got sensitized to them because they were all that was left after eliminating so much. I have a theory that his liver is a little sluggish because it took unusually long for his hematoma to go away after birth (rough train of thought to how I'm making connections: hematomas~jaundice~liver) and because he had such a positive reaction to the sarsaparilla (purifies blood and detoxes the liver) and now I'm thinking that it's not clearing the proteins out of his system as quickly as normal and so they build up and he gets sensitized easily. Does that make any sense or am I a complete loon?

So now I'm on a 4 day rotation diet using the foods that tested safe. There's a bit more variety, but it's tough to come up with enough ideas for 4 days worth of different stuff. I can eat goat and sheep milk products so I get to eat some cheese! I'm hoping to get some goat mozzerella from a shop that makes their own cheese so I can make a pizza. At the least I know they have parmesan from sheep milk so I can have my rice pasta with sauce and parmesan.

The little things that bring such joy.....

Oh yes, as I almost completely forget the most important part. It's now been a week since the appointment and Max's skin is looking really good. I'm holding my breath because everytime it gets clear, it flares up again. It feels different somehow this time. I suppose because we're not relying on a cream. Although I did get my fun package of herbs today and got the crockpot all ready to make up a batch of salve tomorrow.

And on another good note, things are going pretty smoothly with the other guy's insurance company. We have an appointment to get the van fixed and they said they'd reimburse us for new carseats which is awesome because we spent the big $$ for the Britax seats because car safety is very important to us and we really don't have the money to replace them ourselves. Now to see how it goes tomorrow when I call to discuss the issue of a rental car for the week the van is in the shop.....

3 Comments:

Blogger K said...

I'd get yourself and kidlets checked out by a chiropractor who does craniosacral (or a massage therapist) whether or not they are acting strange. :D
Glad the guys insurance will buy a new carseat!@

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Edith said...

Wow, that IS a big list! Glad you guys are ok; getting rear-ended can be pretty nasty.
I have considered going on a rotation diet, but have not done it yet. How has it been going so far? My little boy was finally getting much better; no more diarrhea, his skin was looking pretty good so long as I put the colloidal oatmeal and moisturizer on twice a day, and no more nasal congestion.
And about 3 weeks ago I got mastitis and ended up on antibiotics, and that really messed us both up. He's struggling with his digestion again, and had a big bad eczema flare-up, which is now much better again, thank goodness. I'm adding a little bit of pure evening primrose oil to his moisturizer, and it really seems to make a huge difference! Have you tried that?

Did you make the Sarsaparilla salve? I'm still drinking my Indian Sarsaparilla tea; tried without a few times, but he got a lot worse.

Edith

3:21 PM  
Blogger kris said...

oh, Jess, what a long list, and a crappy turn of events.

I'm glad that at least you got some answers. I hope you're all feeling well, and that little Max keeps feeling better.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home