Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The saga continues...

I haven't been up to updating this lately. My spirit is a little broken. I made it through those 2.5 weeks like the good little trooper I am only to be crushed.

Apparently through some huge misunderstanding the food allergy test was never done. We went to the appointment and I was so excited to get answers. We talked with the ND for a little and finally I couldn't wait any longer and asked about the results. She flipped through Max's file and said they weren't there. I found that strange because when I'd spoken to the lab, they'd said they'd sent them. She called the lab to check and they were out to lunch. So I left with the promise they'd call as soon as they heard back from the lab.

Juuuussst great.

That was NOT how that was supposed to go. I was near tears leaving without answers. I broke down in the car. This probably sounds dramatic, but the stress was just overwhelming.

Halfway home, I got a call from the ND's office saying that there were no results because the test had not been done. I didn't understand why the hell not? She asked if I'd sent in the box. Box? Nobody in the previous 2 months when I thought this test was being done had mentioned a box. Not the ND office, not the insurance company, not the lab where we had his blood drawn. How did this not get mentioned???? It turns out I was supposed to have received a box with a kit because I was supposed to send the blood to a different lab in Florida for the food allergy test. And the icing on the cake? Our insurance didn't cover it after all.

Sooooo our increasingly lovely Friday continued on. By this time it was raining nice and hard. I returned home but had to go back to the ND office after the receptionist's lunch break to pick up the Box. Made a very dissappointing lunch of the 3 main ingredients I'm allowed to eat, laughed a little, cried a little, loaded everyone back in the car and headed out.

We were lucky enough to get a parking space on the street across from the entrance. But as we crossed the road, Katie tripped and skinned her knee. I carried both babies the rest of the way trying to keep everyone as dry as possible and soothe her at the same time. We got the now infamous box and a bandage for Katie's bloody knee and headed back out into the rain.

Next stop was the lab. They remembered us and seemed almost as confused as me about why we were back so soon and why the other test hadn't been done. This blood draw went much smoother than last time. Then we went out to wait for them to prepare the sample to be sent to the other lab in Florida.

I nursed Max and then called up the insurance company to try to figure out if they'd cover it. They kept talking about a code but nobody could tell me what the code was. I went back and forth between the ND office, lab and insurance trying to settle things and finally found out that it wasn't covered so I had to pay the $273. It sucked, but if we finally get some answers, it'll be more than worth it.

There was one really cool thing happened. I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a very long time and we got to catch up a little and got together the next week.

So to sum up this long post, we still don't know anything. Our next appointment is scheduled for August 2nd and they *should* have the results by then. I'm starting to think we'll never get any answers though....

6 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

Jess, I am so sorry you have to deal with this. The level of incompetence that you've had to deal with is just staggering.

I've been asking all the mommies I know how they deal with eczema, but I haven't gotten anything different from what you probablly already know. I'll give you the highlights, but I'm sure you've already tried all this:

One lady doesnt' use any soap on her little boy at all, she only uses the aveeno bath-packs (the little individual envelopes of powder) and lets him have a little soak every other day. She said that he does better, the less she bathes him.

I've had a little success with doing a vinegar soak, with no soap or anything else, but in the summer, I really crave the soapy-clean smell, so it's tough.

One friend makes a little paste of water and cream-of-tartar and puts that on top of the rash for 10-15 minutes, then rinses it off... but I don't know if max will let you get away with that.

Any chance your mil could send you more of that miracle fix? Maybe that's all you need.

7:53 AM  
Blogger K said...

What a giant clusterfuck. You deserve the mother of the year award for this. I hope you find some answers. I assume the cream from Chile isn't working anymore? I wish I had more to say.. .but I'm at a loss. Much love to you and Max.

11:21 PM  
Blogger jessica said...

I've never tried the vinegar or cream of tartar, very interesting. And Max is bathed so infrequently that I forget when his last bath was. I think that's grounds for elimination from the mother of the year competition ;) But seriously, it's not about being a martyr, it's about having no choice.

I think I'm going to try to make my own cream. I found some Mexican sarsaparilla I can order online so I'll see if that works.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Edith said...

I know exactly what you mean, that it's about having no other choice. That's how I feel with my little boy. I also find that using the colloidal oatmeal helps him some. I bought the Aveeno packs, but found that he can't tolerate frequent baths, even with that. So now I'm trying putting a lot of that powder in a tiny bit of luke warm water (maybe 2 or 3 times as much water as colloidal oatmeal powder), and dab that on him with a cotton ball. Then I dry him off (dabbing again) just a little bit, and put my moisturizer on (Jason Cosmetics, the glycerin and rose water one) with a little bit of Vitamin E oil added to it. So far it's helping a bit, but I'm sure it will only help for a little while, just like everything else. Colloidal silver also helps with the flare-ups. I'm currently trying to get him over one of those... No idea what triggered it...

eczema hell sure does describe it very well...

Edith

12:36 AM  
Blogger jessica said...

We tried oatmeal baths too. Joke's on us though, seeing as his serum reacted to oat. It's ridiculous how tough it is to pinpoint triggers. We tried *everything* we heard of and more and nothing helped. As for the moisturizer I know exactly what you mean and how as soon as it seems to be working, he'll flare up and it'll be tougher than ever to soothe.

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, If you are looking for a fantastic feel good vitamin watervitaminvitamin water then you have to check this out.

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home